Monday, January 18, 2010

shifting focus

I often wonder why so much of my adult life has been centered around the men in it.

Why do I spend time caring for, coddling, loving, sometimes almost obsessing over men, when I could spend all that time on me?  I mean, rarely does the effort get returned in kind.  Half-assedly, yes, but rarely, if ever, is it returned with the same caring and attention to detail.

And yet, here I am again, not sleeping, thinking about some guy.  Is he interested, is this a bad idea, is it too soon, would it end badly?

The answer to all of those questions, in case you’re wondering, is yes.  Yes, he’s interested.  Yes, I may be too.  Yes, it would go badly, end badly, and is way too soon for me.

But I can’t resist checking my email one more time, looking at my phone to see if he called or texted, or just peeking at his facebook photo.

I don’t want to be this girl.  I want to be focused on me, intent on my own goals, complete in myself.  I want to stop wasting time and energy on someone who doesn’t deserve it, when someone who does is sitting here not getting her beauty rest.  Maybe I just need to get laid.  In reality, I need to stop deflecting and work on myself.

Dammit, attraction is a mysterious thing.

[Via http://personaloracle.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment