Friday, September 25, 2009

Why Everything That's Supposed to Be Bad Make Me Feel So Good?

Man, if you are a human being you can relate to what Kanye is talking about! Seems like the stuff that is ’supposed’ to be bad is what tends to draw us. I don’t know if it’s because we’ve been conditioned to ‘if it feels good do it’ or just that because it feels good- we do it. But the fact that this internal battle exists means that it can’t be ignored. It’s funny that Kanye tells this story (by the way the song is called “Addiction”) and you can take it very literally to mean that he is talking about an addiction to women, sex and drugs, but I think that he is talking about the general human nature of being drawn to destructive things in our lives.

Kanye’s (always) transparent honesty matches the Apostle Paul in the Bible:

Kanye’s lyrics:

“Why everything that’s supposed to be bad, make me feel so good/Everything they told me not to is exactly what I would/Man I tried to stop man I tried the best I could/But (You make me smile)

“What’s your addiction/Is it money, is it girls, is it weed?/I’ve been afflicted by not one, not two, but all three/She’s got the same thing about me, but more about us/She’s coming over so I guess that means I’m on drugs/Just let me peek now, I mean damn, I’m so curious/She’s got a lover so the lies and the lust is a rush/Time’s of the essence I need you to be spontaneous/Roll up the doge, henny and c-c-cola, then I’m c-coming over/ Cuz it’s ne-never over…

The Apostle Paul ‘raps’ something similar in Roman 7:16-25

What I don’t understand about myself is that I decide one way, but then I act another, doing things that I absolutely despise… I obviously need help! I realize that I don’t have what it takes. I can will it, but I can’t do it. I decide to do good, but I don’t really do it. I decide not to do bad, but then I do it anyway. My decisions such as they are don’t result in action. Something has gone wrong deep within me and gets the better of me every time. It happens so regularly it’s predictable. The moment I decide to do good sin is there to trip me up. I truly delight in God’s commands but it’s pretty obvious that not all of me joins in that delight. Part of me covertly rebel, and just when I least expect it, they take charge.

Can you relate?

There is a pretty plain reason WHY that happens which I’ll tell you about tomorrow.

Paul goes on to say: I’ve tried everything and nothing helps. I’m at the end of my rope. Is there no one who can do anything for me? Isn’t that the real question?

Paul eventually figured it out, I’m not sure Kanye found his answer yet. But it’s the WHY and the WHAT is more practical than you think. And don’t think you already know the answer. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment